Saturday, May 16, 2015

Respecting Culture and modesty.


 
As I have previously mentioned I teach in a very conservative community. To avoid gossip and offense I have chosen to wear the Abaya to work. It gives me freedom on hot days to wear whatever I want under it. In recent days with temperatures reaching 40 degrees Celsius I wear cycling shorts and a t-shirt under. The Abaya hides a multitude of sins, not to mention I am chubby so all skirts and pants reveal my curves! Something interesting to note is that my sisters school have asked the western teachers not to wear the Abaya to work. 
 
 

 
I make sure I wear high necked tops, but due to the heat and horrid sweating I choose to wear sleeveless tops. This restaurant had many expats so I felt comfortable. But it is always necessary to carry a scarf, as seen below.


Modesty and what is appropriate for expats depends on the situation and area. I tend to carry a scarf where ever I go. As you can tell the gentlemen behind me are locals, so a quick cover up was necessary. According to dress code policy in Abu Dhabi malls you can show your arms but not your shoulders for women. This really puts me a jam as I hate to wear sleeves in 40 degree heat.


Something to note is that a few women continue to dress provocatively in the malls and in public, I know modesty leaves room for personal interpretation. But I have a rule of thumb, if I would not wear it to Church, I probably should not be wearing it here in Abu Dhabi in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment